MIDDLE SCHOOL INSTRUCTS STUDENTS TO DRAW THEMSELVES AS SLAVES

What does that have to do with learning history?



An Austin middle school assigned students to draw themselves as slaves in an attempt to understand “slave life in 1850s Texas.”
Four Points Middle School gave an assignment for students to draw themselves as slaves and describe what they would smell, hear, see, taste, and touch if they were a slave in the Civil War. 
“There’s nothing about slavery that I would want any child, regardless of color, to have to relive,” mother Tonya Jennings told KVUE News.
“I turn it, and then, of course, my eye is drawn to the title, ‘Making Sense with the Senses.’ And then I read the four points. And I stopped after reading, ‘Draw a picture of yourself as a slave.’ I just stopped right there,” Jennings said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burning Man kicked off on Sunday...